Saturday, August 25, 2012

Rest in Peace, My Hero, Neil

Like many, I was very sad to hear about the passing of Neil Armstrong today. He was a tremendous figure in history, but more importantly, a tremendous person whose duty and dedication to his country surpassed all else. To sci-fi geeks like me, he meant more to than even that. He was a symbol for what we could achieve if we worked hard enough. We could look up at the sky and see his triumph, one small step for man, as something to strive for. While we dreamed, someone was really doing it. And maybe someday we could too.

I grew up seeing a generation inspired by Neil and his words. They wrote of space travel and new worlds. I saw technology he and others used become the basis for modern life. But, more importantly, I saw his message and hope for mankind live on. I will admit I cried. But, I am also glad that such a person as Neil Armstrong was alive to change the world. Men and women like him, not the buildings, monuments, or even documents are what truly embodies America.

10 comments:

  1. I agree Ben and I'm so saddened to hear of his death..He will be missed..It doesn't seem real..Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said my friend...I mourn with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. Though I felt his family themselves gave the best.

      Delete
  4. I was sad to hear this, too. Strangely, I thought of Sheldon on "The Big Bang Theory" when I heard it. I remember watching the moon walk on the evening news as a young teen and being totally blown away by it all. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy these kinds of stories, Marion. Partly because I love history and partly because I couldn't be there myself.

      Delete

You've found your way inside my head and now there's no way out!