Sunday, July 17, 2011

Because You're Worth It!

YOUR CORPORATE PROMOTIONAL PLAY


CHARACTERS

JACK
REGINA
TED
JOANNE
NED

SETTING
An office with cubicles.



            [JACK is typing on the computer before suddenly realizing the audience]

JACK
Oh, hi there!  My name is Jack.  It’s the year 2024 and the world is finally rid of government!  Let’s take a look!
            [Starts walking between cubicles]
Without pesky regulation the market was finally allowed to flourish.  It takes care of all of us, like a big ole daddy!  Here comes the boss now; that entrepreneur, that master of industry!

            [BOSS gives JACK a noogie and slaps the rear of REGINA, a female.employee]

BOSS
[To Regina]
I’ll see you in my office or
            [Points and winks]
You’re fired.

            [REGINA weeps openly]

JACK
Isn’t that right, Regina?  A big ole daddy?

            [She nods through sobbing]

Don’t feel bad for Regina.  She’s got a job, after all.

REGINA
I wish I were dead.

JACK
That’s a poor attitude.  At least you can afford to eat.

REGINA
I ate half a slice of bread for dinner last night.  My landlord’s evicting me because I don’t look attractive enough.

JACK
Hey, now, it’s his property.  You don’t have to live there.  Let’s move on! 
            [Starts walking]
Bathroom breaks were terrible for productivity into the twentieth and twenty-first century.  Now… there aren’t any!
            [He approaches another employee, TED, who is squirming as if needing to pee]
Isn’t that right, Ted?

TED
[Jittery]
Yes.  Can I go yet?

JACK
How many breaks have you taken today?

TED
One… at lunch.

JACK
See now, you did it on your own time.  Keep it up!

TED
I only got two minutes for lunch and that’s because the manager had fallen asleep.

JACK
Work hard and maybe you can sleep too!  The possibilities are endless in our corporate paradise!

TED
I guess…

JACK
[Patting Ted’s back]
Good man.
            [Walks away]
A lot of people were worried about healthcare a decade or so ago.  The problem, I’m proud to say, was finally solved: by incinerating the sick!
            [Approaches a sickly looking JOANNE]
How’s that jaundice, Joanne?

JOANNE
[Through gritted teeth]
What jaundice?

JACK
Oh, that Joanne!  I’ll give her another week before corporate turns the flames back on.  Let’s go and see the break room.
            [Takes another corner]
I bet you thought I was serious for a second.  There are no break rooms.  There are torture chambers, though.  Corporal punishment is returning in a big, big way.  Isn’t that right, Ned?  Don’t be shy!

NED
Hi.

JACK
Why so shaky, Ned?
.
NED
I was just lashed for forty minutes straight.

JACK
And I bet you learned your lesson, didn’t you?

NED
Yes, no more yawns that sound like sighs.

JACK
That’s right.  Isn’t he a trooper?

            [A siren sounds]

That must mean another revolution!  I’m going to go die valiantly for my corporate leaders now.  Thank you for watching this promotional play.  Remember, together, we can and will keep the market free!

            [BOSS, TED, JOANNE, NED and JACK all give meek thumbs up]


END OF PLAY

No comments:

Post a Comment

You've found your way inside my head and now there's no way out!