Friday, June 17, 2011

Bases

I overheard a conversation
Between two older men
Regarding bases and relationships.

One, named Phil, bragged
He’d reached five-hundred
The other, Ted, had claimed a thousand.

“Excuse, me,”
I naively interjected,
“Aren’t there only just the three?”

They laughed the way
A parent laughs at children
Discovering their world.

“When you’re young,” said Phil,
“But as you age you’ll see
There’s so much more.”

Looking at the lines and wrinkles
On their skin I saw these extra “bases”
Exceeding the mere three I knew.

The crease above Phil’s eye
Might have been the stress of paying rent
Together with his wife.

Ted’s sagging cheeks
The grief brought on
By raising kids.

First, second, third,
Were fading memories,
Irrelevant.

2 comments:

You've found your way inside my head and now there's no way out!