Thursday, March 01, 2012

Off Meter Nostalgia

Can't see sunshine through the rain
as breath fogs up the glass.
why has life become so plain?
a dream too real to pass?

Mama took my Kodachrome away,
made me think all the world's a cloudy day.

I'd splash in puddles, throw the ball
But instead I work and write trite things:
"Imagine being small
With wings!"

Where have you gone  Joe Dimaggio?
Our nation turns its cataracts to you?

Press me while I wither,
stay a fossil from my time;
can't tell whether
it's sublime.

12 comments:

  1. I could read that last stanza all day. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?
    Our nation turns its cataracts to you?

    True that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it says something about being old and forlorn I thought.

      Delete
  3. Perfect title. Cracked me up. Probably wasn't supposed to, but it did :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, well, it was supposed to be a little funny. After all, I'm a funny guy ;-)

      Delete
  4. This one is really good. And the off-meterness of it all actually improves it a lot. I don't think this poem would be the same with a regular meter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ben I like the fact that you havent changed your music collection, this chick has such a moving voice. Never trite, maybe trivial but not trite;-)

    gotta say that last line trivial was a joke, just needed a t word that would work:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is really good at taking simple things and making them fantastic.

      Delete
  6. You are a genius. Cracked me up. I vote sublime. For sure. xo

    ReplyDelete

You've found your way inside my head and now there's no way out!