Saturday, April 23, 2011

Another Ten Minute Play!


THE MALL

by Benjamin Ditmars



CHARACTERS

MITCH BRAYER: Young with surprisingly grey hair.  Shakes and stutters when he talks.

ROSS BOWMAN: An average politician.  Nice suit, tie, perfect face, a master of ambiguity.

SETTING

An abandoned mall.  ROSS BOWMAN sits tied up between a tornado machine and a gumball dispenser.


              [MITCH approaches ROSS]

MITCH
I – I bet you wonder why I brought you hear.

            [ROSS’s mouth is covered so he settles for a puzzling stare]

There is a very good reason.

            [ROSS continues to stare daggers]

You see…
            [MITCH rips the duct tape off ROSS’s mouth]
Now, that’s better.  We can talk more –

ROSS
[Interrupting]
HELP!  I’VE BEEN TAKEN HOSTAGE!  SOMEONE, ANYONE, HELP!

MITCH
They can’t hear you.

ROSS
[Assertively]
And why not?

MITCH
No one has a job in this part of town.  No one lives here.  No one hardly even comes here.

ROSS
Then why I am here?

MITCH
You could say the remoteness, you could say the symbolism.

ROSS
What do you want?  Money?  Some sick type of notoriety?  You’ll get neither!

MITCH
I want answers.  That’s all.

ROSS
Let me go first.  My secretary will mail a letter you can read in prison.

MITCH
I don’t want cookie-cutter talking points!  I want a real conversation.  Right here.

ROSS
I don’t give preferential treatment nor do I negotiate with terrorists.

MITCH
No, no, of course you wouldn’t.  You’ve never given out any kind of treatment your entire career.

ROSS
What’s that supposed to mean?

MITCH
Have you looked at your district?

ROSS
I fly over it all the time.

MITCH
And?

ROSS
I see plenty of factories and farmlands; the fruits of my Washington labor.

MITCH
Did you ever stop to think how many of these factories have closed and moved to Mexico or overseas?

ROSS
Listen here, I do good for this district, this state and this country.  I have met with every single interest group that’s financed my campaign for reelection!

MITCH
And those that haven’t?

ROSS
I’m sure they have other voices that speak on their behalf.

MITCH
That’s the answer I expect but far from what I want.  You’ll be staying here a while yet I feel.

ROSS
How long is a while?

MITCH
How long did it take you to respond to my last letter?

ROSS
It’s not my fault!  I get a lot of mail!

MITCH
And enough money to hire more staff.

ROSS
But that’s my money, you see –

MITCH
And this is your hostage situation.  I hope you enjoy it as much as six-figures.

ROSS
Let me go!

MITCH
A command might get what you want on the Hill but it won’t here Mr. Bowman.
            [HE starts to walk away]

ROSS
Where are you going?  You can’t leave me here!

MITCH
Unlike you I have a real job.

ROSS
But this neighborhood sounds dangerous!  God knows what these hooligans might do to a confined person.

MITCH
And I want you to think real hard about who made it that way.
            [HE exits]

            [Lights fade leaving ROSS BOWMAN alone in the dark]

ROSS
This isn’t right!  Can anyone hear me?  It’s Ross Bowman, your state representative!

            [Lights return]

Who’s there?  Let me go or you’ll be an accomplice to all this!  I promise!

            [A masked man enters with a baseball bat]

Put that bat down!

MASKED MAN
I bet you wonder why the lights are on?

ROSS
It doesn’t matter.  Put the fucking bat down!

MASKED MAN
I’m going to give you a choice.

ROSS
HELP!  PLEASE!  ANYONE!  I’M BEGGING YOU!
            [ROSS rocks his chair trying to break free]

MASKED MAN
No one hears you, and no one hearing you would care.  The sounds of suffering are all too common.  Now… if you don’t calm down there will not be a choice in this at all.

            [ROSS looks at him terrified]

The choice is: answer every question to my satisfaction or get hit with this bat.  Is that clear?

ROSS
[Meekly]
Yes.

MASKED MAN
Good.  First question: why did you first run for congress twenty some odd years ago?

ROSS
I honestly thought I could do good things.

MASKED MAN
And why didn’t you?

ROSS
It’s far more complicated than doing what’s right.

            [MASKED MAN raises bat as if to strike]

I mean – I tried, God, I tried.  I got on committees for development and farms.  But every step I took in the system to forge alliances and get sponsors for bills the more diluted the impact of everything.  I wasn’t jaded but I kept telling myself I could keep the worst away by getting reelected.

MASKED MAN
But you couldn’t, could you?

ROSS
No, I couldn’t.  So I stopped listening and dismissed critics, knowing I was doing the most anyone could in my situation.

MASKED MAN
Is that why you responded so vaguely to all my letters?

ROSS
They were… prewritten by my staff.  I read most letters at one point but peoples’ problems were just too much.  I have no answers for orphans or widows.  Can I really afford to send everyone help that needs it?  They’d laugh me out of congress or I’d go bankrupt trying on my own.
            [PAUSE]
So I focused on national issues hoping they might make some difference.  I thought larger employers might start up back home if I loosened some restrictions.  They just used them to leave faster though.

MASKED MAN
I appreciate your honesty, Mr. Congressman.  You’ve earned more quiet contemplation in the dark.
            [Lights fade]
And don’t try to escape.  You won’t get far.  Not in this town.
            [Muttering to self]
Not in this town.

ROSS
What more do they want from me!?  Get a hold of yourself Ross.  You’re safe for now.
            [Lights return]
Who’s there!?

            [Mitch reenters]

MITCH
I’m back.

ROSS
You were barely at work!

MITCH
Part time is a rare blessing any more.

ROSS
So here’s the bit where you continue blaming all your problems on me?  I’m not responsible for the whole economy!  I’m one congressman from a hick little district!


MITCH
I never wanted to blame you for every problem.  I simply wanted answers.

ROSS
And you have them.  You really don’t think I saw through the whole masked man charade?

MITCH
You can’t prove you did.

ROSS
You’re really banking for an insanity plea, aren’t you?  Regardless, there’s no way you’re getting away with this.

MITCH
Do you even know if I actually live in this town?

ROSS
I know you live close.

MITCH
You don’t know anything.  Not even where you are.

ROSS
You’ll let me go.  I can tell you’re no killer.

MITCH
But maybe the Masked Man is?
            [SILENCE]
Maybe it’s time you meet him again?
            [Lights fade and swiftly return with the MASKED MAN]

MASKED MAN
Did you miss my bat?

ROSS
Not that it matters.  You’re too much of a coward to hit me.

MASKED MAN
Am I?  AM I?
            [HE raises his bat without ROSS flinching]

ROSS
I knew you wouldn’t.  You might as well let me go.

            [The bat drops from MASKED MAN’s hands]

Good, good.  Now untie me.

MASKED MAN
Shut the fuck up!
            [HE punches ROSS]
Now what do I do?

MITCH
You’ve got what you wanted.  Let him go.

MASKED MAN
He knows too much!

MITCH
He knows nothing!

MASKED MAN
Beat him bloody with the bat and send a message!

MITCH
No!  That wouldn’t solve anything!  We’re in enough trouble as it is!

MASKED MAN
I SAID HIT HIM WITH THE BAT!

MITCH
AND I SAID NO!
            [HE falls to the floor fighting with himself]
           
            [ROSS is untying his ropes in the distraction]

MASKED MAN
I always win!  You refused to kidnap Bowman, and look, here he is!

ROSS
[Freed]
Stop it both of you – or one of you – whichever!

MASKED MAN
Shut up!

MITCH
You don’t own us!

            [ROSS sees the bat and goes for it]

            [HE hits MITCH/MASKED MAN over the head]

ROSS
I do now.
            [HE proceeds to tie up MITCH/MASKED MAN]
Time for you to answer my questions.

MITCH
[Dazed]
What do you want to know?

ROSS
Where am I?

MITCH
The old mall in Laudenville, off Route 16.

ROSS
Good.  Do you own a car?

MITCH
No, I walk.

ROSS
A phone!?

MITCH
Sorry.

ROSS
I’ll tell you what I’m going to do.

MITCH
What?

ROSS
I’m going to get out of here… as far away as possible.  But I’m not turning you in.

MITCH
Why?

ROSS
You’re turning yourself in.

MITCH
I am?

ROSS
Yes.  But not to the police.

MITCH
Where do you want me to go?

ROSS
You’re getting real help.

MITCH
I can’t afford it.

ROSS
This… is my treat.  I’m going to do more for this town and district starting now. 
            [PAUSE]
For the longest time I’d forgotten what public service really meant.  You showed me here tonight.  People need more than talking points and lip service solutions.  Now I’ve got to get working… so tell me, which way is out?

MITCH
I’ll show you.

ROSS
You already have.

            [LIGHTS FADE]

END OF PLAY

No comments:

Post a Comment

You've found your way inside my head and now there's no way out!