Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chocolate Milk

Chocolate milk brings back heady days
Of school room cafeteria –
Frozen peas and frozen pizza
Tossed upon a plastic tray
We thought our elders
Were acquainted with
In what must have been
The Great Depression
Or a Civil War, that
Could have been our own
Or one with Wallace
Maybe Cromwell
Possibly Czar Nicholas II
Before he fell to Bolsheviks
In Yekaterinburg;
I can’t be sure.

All I know’s I drink a glass
And can swear I hold a carton
In hands much smaller than my own
That reach towards paper and a straw
For spitballs to be shot at
The girl I had a crush upon
In eleventh grade
But never told her –
She’s married and a lawyer now
And probably a millionaire
That wouldn’t recollect my name
If I wrote it in the sky for her
And parachuted down
With hundreds of old photographs.
Insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You've found your way inside my head and now there's no way out!